Nicole Richie chose a Versailles theme for her December 11 wedding to Joel Madden in Beverly Hills. Nicole walked down the aisle in a lace Marchesa wedding dress with a high neck inspired by Grace Kelly. She carried a bouquet of white peonies wrapped in white silk. Following the vows, a reception was held in a fabric draped tent with antique chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. The black and white floor was hand painted and a wall of antique mirrors provided the backdrop in the seating area. The biggest surprise of the evening came when Tai, a trained Asian elephant, made a guest appearance fulfilling Richie’s life long wedding dream.
Here’s how to get Nicole’s wedding style:
1. High neck lace wedding dresses, like Grace Kelly’s wedding gown from her 1956 wedding to Prince Rainier, have inspired recent celebrity brides like Richie and Ivanka Trump. For a similar look, try styles like Sophia Tolli’s Fabianna or Demetrios’ Sensualle.
2. White peonies bloom from April to June and are popular for spring weddings. When not in season, they can be shipped at an added cost from New Zealand and other parts of the world. For a different option, try dahlias which have a similar flower form to the peony and bloom during the winter.
3. Known to bring good luck and energy, elephants are popular in Indian weddings. In the Hindu ritual known as the Baraat, a groom travels by elephant to his bride’s village. Elephants like Tai, the 8,800 pound Asian elephant who appeared at Richie’s wedding, can be rented for the day through an exotic animal rental company like Hollywood Animals.
4. Crystal chandeliers add instant elegance and glamour to any wedding. Chandeliers can be purchased at wedding sites like Wedding Bee, or provided by rental companies like Taylor Creative and Classic Party Rentals.
5. Richie’s reception featured a wall of gold antique mirrors featuring the intricate vine patterns of the 18th-century French rococo. Etsy sellers like susantique and tintedvintage have several options.